Friday, February 22, 2008

And now, from Corey Harvard, also known as Claide ...

and a student at the University of South Alabama, we have this:


Not Afraid Anymore

Here’s to the doubts that you cynics enjoy
to express in your poisonous lore:
I have tasted the lies
in the glare of your eyes,
but I'm not afraid anymore.

These are the dreams that have carried my soul
and to this standing truth I'm secure:
You can drag every hope
from the fires of hell
to the waves of a treacherous shore,
and well-soaked or well-done
I will blaze like the sun 
because I'm not afraid anymore.

These are the scars
that you've left to my name
and I'm set for an infinite more.
If your aim is to break me
your focus is vain
because I'm not afraid anymore

Mock as you may, I shall spend all my days
chasing cobwebs away from the door.
And when strength fades to none,
forward still I shall run
because I'm not afraid anymore.

Author notes

"Accepted in "Oracle"; the fine arts publication at the University of South Alabama.

I wrote this poem when I was seventeen.
"

Corey writes primarily rhyme but his free verse is gaining in stature as his writing matures.  You can find him here:    http://allpoetry.com/Corey%20Harvard

Come and check out an inspiring and inspirational young poet who may someday surprise many people with his acute insight and abilities.


No comments: