Monday, February 25, 2008

Today a treat ... Legend, an excellent poet ...

with a particularly fabulous poem to read in the middle of a snowstorm in February.  



April Shower

Missing image

The bleakness has departed 
now that  winter’s left the scene
Springtime decorates my garden
with some forty shades of green

The daffodils smile sweetly
as they nestle in my eye
And they tip their golden bonnets
when the breeze gives out a sigh

On the lawn the sparrows bicker
each one fights to have its say
While refusing to be beaten
in  a petulant display

At the hedge a spider pauses 
to observe the task ahead
After checking his directions
casts another silken thread

Atop the blossomed apple tree
a lovesick turtle dove
Whispers tender words of passion
to entice his lady love 

Till a shadow comes a creeping
all along the flower bed
And a wayward little rain cloud 
softly trembles overhead 

Then my vision is deflected 
by two glistening drops of rain
Who like prima ballerinas
waltz across my windowpane

In a moment they’re devoured 
by a  never ending mass
Of fanatic Whirling Dervish
pirouetting on  the glass

Like  ripples on a millpond
I observe them as they glide
In a frantic race to glory
on a downward suicide

No  sooner  had it started
then the April shower ends
With a lonesome little raindrop
wildly searching for his friends

While a  wispy strand of vapour
slowly seeps across the land
As the sun warms up the garden
subtle changes take command

A daffodil stands weeping
with its golden bonnet torn 
While the pugilistic sparrows
preen in silence on the lawn

The spider stands bewildered
as he tries to understand
How someone  hung a silver tear
on every silken strand

The ardour of the turtle dove
has cooled for just a while 
And he sits beside his lady love
who wears a knowing smile

While I beside the casement
am enraptured by the sight
Of the ever changing spectacle
that April can incite

Here's a bit of autobiographical info from the man himself:

"My poetry style is a mixture of many things, but always Rhyme.

I like to add a little humour when ever i can, and try to look at things in a different way to other writers,
This does not always work , and sometime it turns out rubbish

I love reading up on the First World War,and can not believe some of the hardship and horrors they went through.

I used to work in construction as a scaffolder, before a spinal condition forced me to give that up.
This was when i took up writing poetry ,

There is little left to say, I am married with three daughters who are the world to me.
And apart from my condition I count myself as a very happy fortunate person


LIVING IN NOTTINGHAM ENGLAND"

Stop by and check him out.


No comments: