Friday, February 29, 2008

A cogent and powerful poem from David Barnes ...

of Perth, Australia, and webmaster of Numbat Poetry Journal, previously known as Poetry Down Under.  Many of us will remember some really powerful and exquisite poetry published on that site back in the 90's and into the new Millennium.  


 
The Poet 
                  "Paints on parchment".

         
          words that I read echoed, resonated within
        
  kindled fires, awakened emotions

           suppressed buried

                   I reached out a child seeking to touch a star

           the intensity-consonance of the language drew me

a moth to flames

           For within those words emerged a picture etched

on the canvas of my soul

           and I knew I had to paint.

© debarnes August 1999.
® Revised January 2008 18th
_______________________________

David and his journal can be found here:

www.aceonline.com.au/~db/numbat/pdu/frames/frame_menu_numbat.html

Do stop by and take a look.


No comments: