Thursday, April 10, 2008

Karen R. Springer comes to us from the Garden State,

New Jersey, USA.   She is an educator and poet, and a very old friend of mine.  We first met many years ago on the Showemall Writer's Block, and we've been friends ever since.  

Here are a couple of her poems:




CHECKING OUT


I don’t want to live

Until life is a bore.

I’d rather drop dead

Screaming, “ More! Give me More!:”

You’ll not see me sit 

In some ol’  rocking chair;

Warehoused and obscure

No one caring I’m there.

So unwire the wires

And pull out the plugs

Just let me expire

Give me no drugs.

Life’s a great celebration

But don’t let me linger.

I’ll know when it’s over

And give Old Age the finger.

Yes, the world is an opera

So, please understand,

I’ll sing lead  soprano

As long as life’s grand.


Karen R. Springer



&




.POEM OF PASSAGE FOR  AUNT JUNE.


A small parade

Of sweetly potent decades:

Seven, eight, nine little dramas

Of triumphs and tears.

Our history holographed

 hieroglyphed   

upon the infinite mind

of the god within us.

Years

Once raucus rivulets  of youth

Now gently flowing

Into an endless ocean of truth

Our memories

Mere flotsam

Overcome by breaking waves

Then resurfacing to shape

What we have become.

So it is

We live the lives

That mold our souls

Touched

By those who love us

And touching them in return;

If only in the sanguine sojourn

Of retrospect.


Karen R. Springer


No comments: